Type to search

Elderly Woman Slain in Decatur; Relative Held

Decaturish updates

Elderly Woman Slain in Decatur; Relative Held


Icon_PoliceUPDATE: Decatur Police have identified the victim as 75-year-old Shirley Kendrick.

Police said she was transported to an area hospital where she later died. Kendrick appeared to have been stabbed and to have sustained a head injury, police said. Family members attempted to intervene in the assault and Kendrick’s son suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries. Police said Kendrick’s husband received minor injuries. Police have arrested Kendrick’s grandson, 23-year-old Marquis La’Vonta Freeman, and charged him with murder, aggravated assault and battery.

From earlier today:

Decatur police are investigating the killing of an elderly woman that happened late Tuesday night in Oakhurst.

Police have not released the name of the victim or the family member arrested in the killing. This is the first homicide investigated by Decatur police since 2010.

Here’s the information provided by Jennifer Ross, the Decatur police spokeswoman:

Decatur Police are currently investigating the death of an elderly female. On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at approximately 11:57pm, Decatur Fire responded to a residence in the 200 block of Cambridge Avenue in reference to a medical call. Decatur Police were called to the scene when medical personnel suspected an assault had occurred.

The victim was transported to an area hospital where she later died. Another family member is being treated for non-life threatening injuries received when he intervened. Police have detained an additional family member in connection with the assault.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution talked to neighbor John Post, who said he heard screams, breaking glass and a loud thud before somebody in the house called his name.

“I rushed inside. Everybody was covered in blood,” Post said. He said he helped detain one man.

“When I had the guy pinned down, he kept repeating — kill me now. Sow me the light. Please snap my neck now,” Post told the AJC. “He kept saying it over and over.”