Road work – GDOT warns of delaysAtlanta Downtown Connector. Source: Wikimedia commons. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Atlanta_75.85.jpg
The weather is shaping up nicely this weekend, and that means road crews will be doing some work on the metro area’s highways. Three major routes in Atlanta will be affected: the Downtown Connector, I-85 and Ga. 400.
“Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) encourages motorists to plan ahead to avoid construction-related backups on three major routes through the area … ,” the notice from the Transportation Department says. “Additional lane closures are scheduled in the overnight hours on these and other routes but the biggest impact to traffic will be during the day.”
According to GDOT:
– On I-85, two left northbound lanes will be closed Saturday and two right southbound lanes will be closed Sunday for sign work between Clairmont Road and State Route 400. Each of these closures will be in place from 6 am until 6 pm. Heavy delays are expected.
– Downtown on I-75/I-85 northbound near University Avenue, two right lanes will be closed on Saturday from 9:30 am until 6 pm for pavement work. Some delays are expected.
– Two right northbound lanes will be closed Saturday on State Route 400 from I-85 to Sidney Marcus Boulevard for concrete work. Again, motorists are urged to plan ahead to avoid backups.
– Additional work will be occurring during the overnight hours on the interstate and state routes. The most noteworthy nighttime closure will be a triple left lane closure in both directions on I-285 between West Paces Ferry Road and Roswell Road for sign replacements. This closure is only scheduled in the overnight hours (9 pm to 5 am). The lanes will be open during the day.
– Various single lane closures will be in place in and around the State Route 400/I-85 Interchange project on routes including the Buford-Spring Connector (SR13), Cheshire Bridge Road, Sidney Marcus Boulevard and on State Route 400. Some of these closures are during the day and some are at night.
– Additionally, there will be rolling lane closures on the interstates across the metro area each night for sweeping operations.