New feature – Friday Photo RoundupA user-submitted photo from a Pinewood Derby held at First United Methodist Church of Decatur this past weekend. See this photo and more on Friday when we unveil our Friday Photo Roundup.
User submitted photos are wonderful things. Whether it’s a snow-day or a spring picnic, we always enjoy getting snapshots from things going on around town.
Decaturish.com has been receiving more and more user submitted photos lately. We’d love to post them all but can’t always find room for them on our calendar.
That’s why I’ve decided to try out a new feature: The Friday Photo Roundup. It was inspired by Decatur Metro’s Eye on the Street feature. While Metro does a great job of bringing you photos about events going on in real time, our Photo Roundup will work as more of a week-in-review. It’s also a fun thing to do on Friday, a day where our number of page views tends to drop ahead of the weekend. (You can’t compete with Friday.)
Here’s how you can submit your photos:
– Email them to decaturish @ gmail.com and write “Friday Photo Roundup” in the subject line.
– Photos can be of people, places and things in Decatur, Avondale Estates, Kirkwood and anywhere else in the Metro Atlanta area. If it’s interesting, we’ll use it.
– We use .jpg files.
– We prefer to post horizontal photos, not vertical ones. We might sponsor a user submitted photo contest at some point, and it will be very difficult to consider ones that are vertical because we’ll want to use them as our featured image for each post. In short, your photos will get better play if they’re horizontal.
– Our preferred file size is roughly 640 by 445. You can send larger photos and we will re-size them on our end. It will just take more time and it would be helpful for us if you send them in a size that’s ready-to-go.
– We would like to get names of the people in photos if at all possible. We understand that you might not be able name everyone in a crowd shot, but if your photo focuses on specific individuals, we’d like their names and a short blurb about what they were doing when you took the photo.
In addition to user submitted photos, we’ll also occasionally mix in photos from public sources, like the city of Decatur blogs.
We’ve already got a few submissions for this week and we’ll post those Friday morning. This should be fun. I look forward to seeing the world through your lens.