GDOT – Avoid I-20, I-285 this weekendAtlanta Downtown Connector. Source: Wikimedia commons. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Atlanta_75.85.jpg
The Georgia Department of Transportation’s weekend construction schedule includes work on I-285, I-20 and Georgia 400, which means all three roads are good ones to avoid this weekend.
There will be lane closures and GDOT says, “These closures are likely to result in possibly lengthy delays.”
Here is the construction schedule, from GDOT:
This weekend’s schedule for I-20 is:
- Downtown, bridge joint and header replacement will require two westbound I-20 lanes be closed between Whitehall Street and Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard, as well as two eastbound lanes between Interstate 285 and Lowery, continuously from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday;
Planned I-285 work is as follows:
- Continuous 9 p.m., Friday, to 5 a.m., Monday, closure of two I-285 Outer Loop lanes between Bolton Road and Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway, for concrete slab repair and replacement;
- Sign structure work will require an Outer Loop I-285 double lane closure as well as an Inner Loop single lane closure between Chamblee Dunwoody and Peachtree Dunwoody roads from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday;
- Other sign work will necessitate closing two Outer Loop lanes – then three, accompanied by traffic pacing – between Northside Drive and the Chattahoochee River from 9 p.m., Friday, until approximately 7 a.m., Saturday; and
- As part of the rehabilitation of the southside interchange of I-285 and Interstate 85, two southbound I-85 lanes at the ramp to southbound I-285 will be closed continuously from 9 p.m., Friday until 5 a.m., Monday.
This weekend’s other scheduled work – weather permitting – includes
- One westbound lane of Atlanta Road at I-285 in Cobb County will be closed from 7 p.m., Sunday, until 5 a.m., Monday; and
- On Georgia (State Route) 400, one northbound lane between Sidney Marcus Boulevard and the former Toll Plaza area will be closed from 7 a.m., to 7 p.m., Saturday and Sunday and two southbound GA 400 lanes at Northridge Road in North Fulton County will close from 9 p.m., Friday, until 9 p.m., Saturday.