GDOT: Avoid I-20, I-285 this weekendAtlanta Downtown Connector. Source: Wikimedia commons. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Atlanta_75.85.jpg
There are bridge repairs and sign work on the road maintenance agenda for this weekend.
The Georgia Department of Transportation’s advice? Stay away from I-20 and I-285 if you can.
“The Department once more encourages motorists to avoid non-essential travel on west side Interstates 20 and 285 as multiple projects will require lane closures which may result in delays,” GDOT says in its road work advisory. “Georgia DOT advises those traveling in the Metro area to call 511 or consult 511ga.org before departing for real-time information on work status and traffic conditions.”
Here’s the list of projects, provided by GDOT:
– Bridge joint and header replacement will require two westbound I-20 lanes from Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard to Lawton Street be closed continuously from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Monday;
– Similar work will necessitate closing two eastbound lanes between Six Flags Parkway and Fulton Industrial Boulevard; also continuously from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Monday;
– Continuous 9 pm, Friday, to 5 am, Monday, closure of two I-285 Outer Loop lanes between Bolton Road and Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway, for concrete slab repair and replacement;
– Sign structure work will require an Outer Loop I-285 double lane closure and an Inner Loop single lane closure between Buford Highway and Chamblee Dunwoody Road, continuously from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Monday;
– As part of the reconstruction of the interchange of I-285 and Atlanta Road, contractors will close two Outer Loop lanes there from 9 pm, Sunday, until 5 am, Monday; and
– The Northwest Corridor Express Lanes project will necessitate closure of one Inner Loop collector distributor lane between Cobb Parkway and I-75 from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Saturday.