GDOT preparing for holiday break
The Georgia Department of Transportation is doing one more weekend of roadwork before the holiday break.
“But the Department promises one more weekend of cooperation in avoiding the customary work areas will be justly rewarded with an extended Thanksgiving break from road construction,” the press release from GDOT says.
GDOT is encouraging drivers to avoid travel on the west side of I-20, I-285 and on I-75 northbound in Henry and Clayton Counties.
Here’s the list of projects for this weekend:
– On I-75 south of the city, two northbound lanes between Hudson Bridge Road/Eagles Landing Parkway and Mount Zion Boulevard will be closed continuously from 9 pm, Friday, until 9 pm, Sunday, for concrete slab replacement;
– Continuous 9 pm, Friday, to 5 am, Monday, closure of two I-285 Outer Loop lanes between Campbellton Road and Camp Creek Parkway, for concrete slab repair and replacement;
– Sign structure work will require an Outer Loop I-285 double lane closure and an Inner Loop single lane closure between Chamblee Dunwoody Road and Buford Highway, continuously from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Monday;
– As part of the reconstruction of the interchange of I-285 and Atlanta Road, contractors will close two Outer Loop lanes there from 9 pm, Sunday, until 5 am, Monday; and
– Bridge joint and header replacement will require closing two eastbound I-20 lanes between Six Flags Parkway and Fulton Industrial Boulevard continuously from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Monday;
– Similar bridge work will require two westbound I-20 lanes from Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard to Lawton Street be closed continuously from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Monday;
– Bridge repairs in Newton County will require ramp closures on eastbound I-20 at U.S. Highway 278 from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Monday;
– On south side I-75, two northbound lanes at State Route 138 will be closed from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Monday for concrete replacement;
– On north side I-75, setting bridge beams for the Skip Spann Connector in Cobb County will require a single lane northbound closure and traffic pacing from 9 pm, Friday, until 5 am, Saturday, just north of the Chastain Road Interchange; and
– Finally, private contractors will be closing two lanes in the 600 block of Ponce De Leon Avenue from 8 am, to 4 pm, both Saturday and Sunday.