Election news: Early voting begins, forums ahead, Decaturish creates a resource for votersFile Photo provided by Dena Mellick
The campaign season is underway ahead of the Nov. 3 municipal elections in Decatur and Avondale Estates.
Early voting begins today, Oct. 12, there are several forums planned, and Decaturish has created an election resource to help you keep track of it all.
Additionally, Decaturish will bring you the latest annexation and cityhood news, including information about the referendums on the proposed cities of LaVista Hills and Tucker. All of that news will be contained under the “Annexation, New Cities” section of our home page.
People who want to vote early can cast their ballot at 4380 Memorial Drive, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 12 through Oct. 30.
People who wish to vote will need to bring one of the following forms of identification, according to the Georgia Secretary of State’s office:
– Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including a free ID Card issued by your county registrar’s office or the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS)
– A Georgia Driver’s License, even if expired
– Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
– Valid U.S. passport ID
– Valid U.S. military photo ID
– Valid tribal photo ID
If you’re a traditionalist and want to vote on Nov. 3, there’s a resource to help you do that, too. By visiting the Georgia Secretary of State’s My Voter Page, you can get your polling location and a sample ballot. To visit the page, click here.
People seeking more information about the candidates can attend the following forums:
– Downtown Decatur Neighbors Forum, Monday, Oct. 12 at 6:30 p.m. at the Decatur Library Auditorium, 215 Sycamore Street, Decatur, GA 30030
– Winnona Park Neighborhood Forum, Tuesday, Oct. 20, at 7 p.m. at Winnona Park Elementary School, 510 Avery St, Decatur, GA 30030
– Oakhurst Presbyterian Forum, Sunday, Oct. 18, from 4 to 6 p.m. at Oakhurst Presbyterian, located at 118 Second Ave NE, Decatur, GA 30030
– Decatur Heights Neighborhood Association Forum, Sunday, Oct. 25, from 3 to 5 p.m. in the sanctuary of The Church at Decatur Heights. The church is located at 735 Sycamore Dr., Decatur, GA.
– The city will host a forum on Tuesday, Oct. 13, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Avondale Estates City Hall, located at 21 North Avondale Plaza, Avondale Estates.
These sections, which can also be found at the bottom of our homepage, will contain Candidate Q&A’s, our forum coverage and candidate profiles leading up to the Nov. 3 election.
Editor’s note: Thanks to the support of our paid subscribers, who pitch in $6 a month, we are able to provide coverage of all of the forums this year. If you value the work that we do, please consider becoming a paid subscriber. Subscribers also receive exclusive deals from our advertisers.
You can also make a one-time contribution by clicking here.