Avondale Estates will stop accepting glass for recyclingPhoto obtained via the city of Avondale Estates website.
Residents in Avondale Estates will no longer be able to recycle glass products through the city.
The city made the announcement via email on Dec. 21.
“Starting Jan. 1, 2016 Latham Home Sanitation will stop picking up glass from Avondale Estates homes,” the city says.
The city gave the following reasons for the decision:
[adsanity id=27331 align=aligncenter /]
– The weight of glass means the cost of transporting it to processing facilities is not beneficial financially or environmentally.
– Glass must be sorted by color.
– Certain types of glass – including drinking glasses, ceramic, pottery, window panes, mirrors, and fluorescent light bulbs – are not recyclable.
– Broken glass contaminates other good recyclables.
– Glass bottles and jars are non-toxic products made of sand, limestone, and soda ash.
[adsanity id=17766 align=aligncenter /]