School Board passes Scott Boulevard resolution, road featured on ‘Commuter Dude’Pictures taken by Westchester parent Jennifer Belew of students walking to the school from Garden Lane.
During its March 8 meeting the Decatur School Board passed a joint resolution with the City of Decatur to support improvements along Scott Boulevard in front of Westchester Elementary.
On March 14, 11 Alive featured the road on its “Commuter Dude” segment.
[adsanity id=27331 align=aligncenter /]
According to 11 Alive, “As parents and students near the school, the sidewalk narrows. Only a handful take that route. Most detour to back streets that take them to the back of the school.” To read the full story, click here.
The resolution adopted by the School Board recommends the following safety improvements:
– Reduction of the speed limit
– Addition of radar speed signs
– Crosswalk and signal improvements
– Continued evaluation of a pedestrian hybrid beacon in front of Westchester Elementary School
– Lengthened school zone with additional signage
– Sidewalk improvements
– A corridor study with recommendations of pedestrian and bike safety enhancing projects
The Decatur City Commission is expected to consider adopting the resolution at an upcoming meeting.
Statistics gathered by Decaturish show the majority of speeding tickets in the city are issued to drivers traveling on Scott Boulevard.
[adsanity id=17766 align=aligncenter /]