DeKalb County reminds residents that drought restrictions are in effectA dripping faucet. Photo by Danny Steaven. Source: Wikimedia commons
People are being asked to curb their water usage in response to ongoing drought conditions.
“The DeKalb County Department of Watershed Management reminds businesses and residents that the county is still under a Level 2 drought response,” the county said in a press release. “DeKalb County and eight other metro Atlanta counties rely on Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee River as their primary water sources and all remain in a Level 2 drought.”
Watering of plants is limited to twice per week under the restrictions.
More from DeKalb County:
Even-numbered addresses and sites with no numbered address may water Wednesdays and Saturdays, while those with odd-numbered addresses may water on Thursdays and Sundays. Watering is only permitted before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
The following practices are not subject to the 4 p.m. to 10 a.m. or twice-a-week restrictions:
· Irrigation of personal food gardens.
· Irrigation of new and replanted seed, turf or plants for a period of 30 days following installation.
· Watering with drip irrigation or soaker hose.
· Hand watering, including hoses with shut-off nozzles.
· Water from private wells and bodies of water on property.
· Irrigation of sports fields, golf courses and public recreational turf areas.
· Irrigation of plants for sale.
The DeKalb County and the Georgia Environmental Protection Division provided this list of prohibited outdoor water activities.
– Washing hard surfaces such as streets, gutters, sidewalks and driveways, except when necessary for public health and safety.
– Using water for ornamental purposes, such as fountains, reflecting pools and waterfalls.
– Use of fire hydrants, except for the purposes of firefighting, public health, safety or flushing.
– Washing vehicles, such as cars, boats, trailers, motorbikes, airplanes or golf carts.
– Non-commercial washing, or pressure washing, of buildings or structures, except for immediate fire protection.
Charity or non-commercial fundraiser car washes.