Avondale Estates seeking donations for Hurricane Harvey reliefSoldiers with the Texas Army National Guard move through flooded Houston streets as floodwaters from Hurricane Harvey continue to rise. Photo obtained via Wikimedia Commons
With Hurricane Harvey relief groups popping up across the nation, the City of Avondale Estates is working to gather supplies for Texas and the Gulf Coast.
Next Friday, Saturday and Sunday, or Sept. 8 through 10, Avondale is collecting items at a donation area for a few hours. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day, supplies will be accepted at 64 N. Avondale Road, the former credit union facility.
Avondale is looking for donations of the following:
– Blankets, sleeping bags, air mattresses, pillows and towels.
– Personal toiletries, ie. toothbrushes, toothpaste, lotions, shampoo, and deodorant.
– Household cleaning products and laundry detergent
– Non-perishable snack foods
– Board games, coloring books, crayons, and playing cards
All of the collected supplies are going to relief organizations, like the American Red Cross.
Volunteers are needed to accept and organize donations, and you can sign up at https://tinyurl.com/AEHarvey.
To donate money to the cause or to read more about relief efforts, check out: www.redcross.org/news/article/Hurricane-Harvey-How-You-Can-Help.