Type to search

School officials still assessing whether to close schools for Hurricane Irma

Decatur Kirkwood and East Lake Metro ATL slideshow

School officials still assessing whether to close schools for Hurricane Irma

Photo obtained via http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Photo obtained via http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Local school officials in Atlanta are still weighing whether or not to close schools in anticipation of severe weather from Hurricane Irma.

The storm, now a Category 4 hurricane, is expected to hit Florida on Sundat and will move into Georgia and the Carolinas on late Sunday or early Monday, according to Weather.com. Most of Georgia can expect 3 to 6 inches of rain.

Atlanta Public Schools said it is waiting until Sunday to make a decision.

City Schools of Decatur Superintendent David Dude said school officials will also monitor the storm through the weekend.

CSD issued this statement on Friday afternoon:

Hurricane Irma – CSD Monitoring the Potential Impact

City Schools of Decatur is carefully monitoring the potential impact on our area from Hurricane Irma. We are in constant communication with state and local emergency management agencies, and we will stay in touch with them throughout the weekend and into next week. As more information becomes available, we will make decisions to ensure the safety of our students and staff.

If a need arises to cancel, delay, or dismiss early from school, we will notify parents through our robo call emergency notification system (Infinite Campus). Notifications will also be posted on the district website and district Facebook page as well as local media outlets (TV, radio, and online news).

This is a good time to log into the parent portal (Infinite Campus) and check the numbers you have listed for general and emergency notifications.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will provide updates as more information becomes available.

DeKalb County Schools is monitoring situation but says there are no plans to cancel classes on Monday. That could change, however.

“No cancellations are planned thus far. Both Monday and Tuesday are the key days for us at this point,” Superintendent R. Stephen Green said in a press release. “We have a Board meeting scheduled for Monday, and we’re watching the weather very closely. More importantly, we’ll also be watching during the school day, knowing we have after-school activities on both days. We will confer as an administrative team, and with the Board of Education, over the weekend and make decisions as we get closer to the moment at hand.”

For more information about what you can do to prepare, read the full story on Atlanta Loop by clicking here.

Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest news from Decaturish!

[adsanity id=37799 align=aligncenter /]

[adsanity id=32721 align=aligncenter /]

[adsanity id=28960 align=aligncenter /]