Tidbits: Steel City Pops, Big Tex brunch and more
Got food and restaurant news? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Birmingham-based Steel City pops recently opened its store in Decatur. The store is located at 312 Church Street in the space that was formerly slated for Guy Wong’s Big Boss Chinese concept, which ultimately fell through. The company says it makes “gourmet frozen pops with the freshest, all-natural ingredients.”
“When possible, they source their ingredients locally by connecting with food artisans and farmers in the area. Their desire is to represent the very best that a region has to offer and share those unique culinary experiences from one region to another among all the Steel City Pops locations,” a press release from the company says. “They currently have 19 shops in three different states.”
At the moment people can visit the store on Mondays to watch the pops being made in the shop’s kitchen, which will serve the Atlanta market. In the spring and summer the company will be making pops five to six days a week.
The store is open from noon to noon to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and, noon to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
– Big Tex in Decatur recently started serving Sunday brunch. The menu will be available from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and will feature “Bottomless Mimosas and a build-your-own Bloody Mary Bar.”
Big Tex offered this peek at its brunch menu:
Guests can expect traditional brunch offerings with Big Tex’s twist on it like the Migas Scramble and Brisket Hash, an ode to the Southern and TexMex style offerings. Stealing the show however is the Build-Your-Own-Biscuit menu that lets guests start with a freshly baked biscuit and topped with everything from fried green tomatoes to sausage gravy to chicken fried chicken at additional minimal cost per item.
Some new menu items include:
· Brisket Hash – smoked brisket, home fries, cheddar cheese, poblano peppers, topped with two fried eggs and scallions
· Migas Scramble – chorizo sausage, scrambled eggs, corn tortillas, pico de gallo & jack cheese, served with guacamole & sour cream
· Brunch Burger – jumbo biscuit with your choice of fried chicken, slab bacon, or a Double-Smash burger, topped with slab bacon and a fried egg
· Bananas Foster French Toast – cream cheese-stuffed French toast, topped with bananas foster syrup and toasted walnuts
· Healthy Scramble – egg whites, spinach, mushrooms, peppers & onions served with home fries or grits
· Shrimp & Grits – Gulf shrimp, andouille sausage, roasted cherry tomatoes
Guests can also order traditional menu items like chicken fried tenders, wings, nachos and hot pretzel with mustard, and the restaurant also offers a separate Kid’s Menu with simpler versions of menu items.
For beverages, guests can order bottomless mimosas for $20 per person or the bloody mary bar for $7 per drink.
In addition to the new brunch menu, Big Tex also rolled out its new menu that includes Carnitas Tacos Plate, Pork Belly Cuban, Veggie Burger and more.
– Poppa Corn’s Gourmet Popcorn recently opened its doors at 1617 Hosea L Williams Drive SE in Kirkwood.
“This business is my first entrepreneurial effort after spending over 30 years in the corporate world, the last 15 of which were with Coca-Cola before being caught up in their recent layoffs,” Chief Popper Keith Forrester said. “We’re excited to be both living and working in the neighborhood.”
The store pops fresh daily and “offers many savory sweet flavors to suit all tastes.” It also sells candy, drinks and gift basket arrangements.
For more information, click here.
– The new Aldi coming to the Decatur Crossing development in 2018 will have a new look compared with other Aldi stores in the market.
“The new look of ALDI delivers on customers’ desire for a modern and convenient shopping experience, with a focus on fresh items, including more robust produce, dairy and bakery sections, plus favorites like organics and USDA Choice meats, to award-winning ALDI exclusive cheese, gluten-free foods and baby items,” ALDI Jefferson Division Vice President Thom Behtz said in an email. “All of our new stores, including the future Decatur location, will also feature a modern design, open ceilings, natural lighting and environmentally-friendly building materials – such as recycled materials, energy-saving refrigeration and LED lighting.”
– Twain’s in Decatur recently updated its beer list.
“Mike Castagno is the head brewmaster and this list is brand new, and also offers a special Gingerbread Stout available in limited quantities for the holiday,” a company spokesperson said. “There’s also a Nitro Oatmeal Cream Stout available for even more seasonal flavors. Guests can order brews by the 12 oz glass, 20 oz glass, pitcher or can get a Beer Flight with five tastes for $11. Twain’s and Executive Chef Ryan Burke also have a seasonal menu out now, with various new entrees like the House Pasta with homemade fettucine in a creamy butternut squash sauce, or vegan eats like the vegan burger and Fried Green Tomato sandwich.”
Correction: Following the initial publication of this story, Steel City Pops updated its operating hours. This story has been updated to include that information.