Facebook is making it harder to see Decaturish articles, but there are ways around itArtwork by Sharna Fulton
Editor’s note: This article was originally published on berkeleyside.com, but the publisher has given other small news outlets permission to localize it for our audiences.
When Facebook announced last week it will show users more posts from friends and family, while hiding the news, Decaturish — along with publishers around the nation — was disturbed. It’s ironic that Facebook’s so-called “News Feed” will now suppress news stories rather than help people find them.
[adsanity id=39177 align=aligncenter /]
Our team works hard to bring the community the stories that matter, and to connect with readers on our Facebook page which has more than 10,000 likes. Decaturish has spent a significant amount of time building our Facebook presence because it has historically been such an important megaphone for us in terms of how some readers come to our site. But times are changing, and we have to change with them.
On the bright side, if you’d still like to see Decaturish posts on Facebook, there are some simple steps you can take. Not a Facebook reader? Keep scrolling, because we have tips below that will help you, too.
5 tips to stay plugged in with Decaturish
(1) CHOOSE ‘SEE FIRST’ On the Decaturish Facebook page, click the “Follow” button (it may say “Following”) and make sure “See First” is checked. You can do the same on a mobile device following essentially the same steps. And these same steps will work for the Atlanta Loop Facebook page, too.
(2) BOOKMARK Bookmark the Decaturish.com Facebook page. (we find this link to be the best view). Like what you see there? Please comment and share our posts, which helps us get greater visibility. The Bookmarks menu appears at the top of the browser. On a Mac, the shortcut to create a bookmark is command+D from any website you like.
(3) BOOKMARKS BAR Put Decaturish.com’s Facebook page in your “bookmarks bar” (Chrome) for easy access. It’s called “Favorites” on Safari and “Bookmarks Toolbar” on Firebox. That way you can find our page with just one click. When you’re saving your bookmark, just make sure to choose the location that works best for you.
(4) DECATURISH READERS’ LOUNGE Facebook recently added a feature that allow companies to create their own groups. The Readers’ Lounge is a great place to see our content and posts from other members of our community about topics that are of interest to them. To join the readers’ lounge, click here.
(5) NEWS IN YOUR INBOX Sign up for the Decaturish daily newsletter to get the latest news from Decaturish in your inbox. To sign up, click here. (There’s also a sign-up form at the end of this post.)
If you’re a fan of Decaturish.com’s work, and would like to support us, please share our stories on social media, NextDoor, Reddit, Twitter and via email. On Facebook, your comments, shares and likes will help us avoid losing readers. Also, please consider making a monthly financial contribution by becoming a paid subscriber. Your contributions allow us to continue providing valuable news to the community without sticking it behind a pay wall. To become a paid subscriber, click here.
Thank you for reading and continuing to support Decaturish.
[adsanity id=39100 align=aligncenter /]
[adsanity id=33719 align=aligncenter /]
[adsanity id=38509 align=aligncenter /]