LOADING

Type to search

First renderings of Pullman Yard redevelopment revealed

Business Kirkwood slideshow

First renderings of Pullman Yard redevelopment revealed

A render of the Pratt Pullman District.
Share

Adam Rosenfelt, co-owner of Atomic Entertainment, reviews his plans for the Pullman Yard property. Atomic closed on the Pullman Yard in 2017 and plans a mixed-use site, including a film studio, for the historic property. File photo.

Atomic Entertainment has released the first renderings of what its proposed redevelopment of Pullman Yard will look like.

Atomic Entertainment provided the renderings to Decaturish on Friday, Feb. 2.  Atomic Entertainment has plans to build an “entertainment district” there that includes a movie studio on the site. There will also be a “digital incubator, music and sound recording facilities, food and beverage concepts and a boutique hotel onsite.”

Here’s what the company has in mind:

Photo provided by Atomic Entertainment

Photo provided by Atomic Entertainment

Photo provided by Atomic Entertainment

The Atlanta City Council approved making the Pratt Pullman Yard a landmark district in November, which will limit what the company can do with the property.

Pullman Yard was bought by Atomic Entertainment last year for $8 million. In an attempt to preserve the historic aspects of the site, the Atlanta Urban Design Commission voted to nominate the Pratt-Pullman Yard in Kirkwood as a Landmark District in July.

According to the city, in 1922 the Pratt-Pullman Yard was “a major employer” that actively recruited black workers from the ranks of local porters and car cleaners. It became one of the largest employer of African Americans in the country.

The Pratt-Pullman Yard – originally farmland purchased in 1904 by the Pratt Engineering Company for a sugar and fertilizer processing plant – was used for munitions manufacturing during World War I.

It was purchased in 1922 by the Pullman Passenger Rail Company and used as a rail car service and repair facility. Southern Iron and Equipment Company used it from 1955 to the 1970’s. The facility was closed after the federal court order split up the Pullman Passenger Rail Company.

Georgia Power used the facility for its fleet of Trackless Trolleys, a name for electric buses. The Georgia Building Authority bought the property in 1990. It was briefly used as part of the New Georgia Railroad, a dinner train running from Underground Atlanta to Stone Mountain. In the years leading up to the sale, it had become a popular filming location.

Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest news from Decaturish!


Decaturish needs your support!

Help us provide you with free, quality local news. Become a Decaturish.com supporter today

To chip in $3 a month, click here.

To chip in $6 a month, click here.

To chip in $60 a year, click here.
* Decaturish.com is not a 501-c-3 organization. Support of Decaturish goes toward our newsgathering efforts. Decaturish does not have a print edition.
close-link