Decatur Fire Department provides holiday fire prevention tips

Posted by Mary Margaret Stewart December 5, 2018

A Decatur, Ga. fire truck. Source: www.decaturga.com

The Decatur Fire Rescue Department recently released some fire prevention tips for the holiday season.

Home fires across the U.S. are common in the holiday season. Cooking, burning candles, and setting up Christmas trees are common ways fires start during the holiday season.

According to a recent press release, home fires are “more likely to occur” with the rushed, tired, and distracted nature of people’s holiday schedules.

Here are some tips for cooking, candle use, and Christmas trees, provided by the Decatur Fire Rescue Department:

– Turn off the stove when you leave the kitchen, even if it’s for a short period of time.

– If you’re simmering, baking or roasting food, check it regularly and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.

– Avoid using candles in the bedroom, where more than one-third of U.S. candle fires begin.

– Never leave a lit candle unattended, or a child/pet alone in a room with a burning candle.

– If you have an artificial tree, be sure it’s labeled, certified or identified by the manufacturer as fire-retardant.

– If you choose a fresh tree, be sure to water the tree stand daily.

– Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit, and is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, space heaters, radiators, candles and heat vents or lights.

– Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords, or loose bulb connections

– Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving the home or going to bed

– After Christmas, get rid of the tree. Dried out trees are a fire hazard and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside the home

For more prevention tips, click here.

Don’t miss the latest news from Decaturish. Join our mailing list!

* indicates required





About Mary Margaret Stewart

View all posts by Mary Margaret Stewart

Receive the Daily Email DIgest

* = required field
error: Alert: Content is protected !!