LOADING

Type to search

(UPDATE) Decatur City Commission will vote on Affordable Housing Task Force

Decatur

(UPDATE) Decatur City Commission will vote on Affordable Housing Task Force

Decatur City Hall
Share

 

UPDATE: The City Commission at its June 3 meeting approved both of the items mentioned in this article. Here is our earlier story …

The Decatur City Commission at its June 3 meeting will consider a resolution establishing an Affordable Housing Task Force.

“A City of Decatur Affordable Housing Task Force will be established to assess the current and projected future landscape of housing affordability in the City of Decatur, evaluate current programs and initiatives to produce new affordable units and preserve existing ones, and make recommendations to the Decatur City Commission to create new programs and initiatives and/or expand existing ones to promote mixed-income development in neighborhoods across the city and ensure a vibrant mix of housing options for people of all income levels,” the resolution attached to the agenda says.

The June 3 meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. and will be held at city hall, located at 509 North McDonough Street. All meetings are open to the public.

According to City Manager Andrea Arnold, the following people have been appointed to serve on the Task Force:

               Thomas Atkinson

                Marc Brambut

                James Brewer-Calvert

                Jason Chernock

                Libby Egnor

                Thomas Gladis

                Mijha Godfrey

                Blair Holden

                Courtney Powell

                Jameelah Saleem

                Danny Santivasci

                Carl Seville

                Sherry Siclair

                Craig Taylor

                John Thomas

                Paula Collins

                Syreeta Campbell

                Conor McNally

                Jamie Gilbert

                Maria Pinkelton

                Mike Travis

                Ken England

                Douglas Faust

In other business, the city plans to make a grant application to the Federal Emergency Management Agency for a grant to buy and demolish property at 475 Landover Drive.

“The Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) program can provide  grant funding to acquire the severe repetitive loss (i.e., flooding) property at 475 Landover Drive and return the property to open space,” a memo from Assistant City Manager David Junger says. ” … Under this grant program FEMA would cover 75 percent of the acquisition cost with a local match covering the remaining 25 percent. The preliminary project estimate is $611,600 with $458,700 reimbursed by FEMA. The City of Decatur local match is $152,900.”

The property owner is listed as Michael Hunter and Megan Sexton, according to property records.

Decaturish needs your support!

Help us provide you with free, quality local news. Become a Decaturish.com supporter today

To chip in $3 a month, click here.

To chip in $6 a month, click here.

To chip in $60 a year, click here.
* Decaturish.com is not a 501-c-3 organization. Support of Decaturish goes toward our newsgathering efforts. Decaturish does not have a print edition.
close-link