(UPDATE) Drew Charter School went on hard lock down on Aug. 6
Drew Charter School went on a hard lock down on Tuesday, Aug. 6, meaning no one could enter or exit the building.
Neither Atlanta Police or Atlanta Public Schools would answer questions about the situation. A spokesperson for the School District said questions should be directed to Drew Head of School Peter McKnight.
McKnight provided additional information to Decaturish about what happened.
“Earlier today, Drew Charter School received a communication that prompted the school to administer its safety protocols,” McKnight said. “As a result, the school was on heightened alert and entered a soft, and later a hard lockdown. During this process, the school’s school resource officers and local police initiated an investigation. Following the investigation, school operations returned to normal. All precautions were taken to ensure the safety of our students and staff. At no time were students and staff considered to be in imminent danger.Please know that Drew Charter School continues to keep the safety and security of its students and staff top priority.”
The initial notice, which was forwarded to Decaturish by a parent, went out to parents at 1:57 p.m.
“Please be advised that Drew is now under a hard (Level 2) lockdown,” the email said. “Under a hard lockdown, there will be no entry or exit through exterior doors, and we are not currently able to receive visitors. We will provide additional updates if needed to our dismissal process.”
The school emailed parents about 30 minutes later to say the lockdown had been lifted.
“The school remains under a heightened alert,” the email added. “As a safety precaution, we will limit outdoor activities for the remainder of the day. Please note that while at dismissal there will be extra security, dismissal will operate as normal.”