Decatur City Commission will consider ordinance regulating e-scooters
[adsanity id=”53551″ align=”aligncenter” /]
The Decatur City Commission at its Sept. 16 meeting will consider adopting an ordinance that would regulate the use of e-scooters within city limits.
The City Commission meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. and will be held at City Hall, located at 509 North McDonough Street. All meetings are open to the public.
Lime is currently allowed to deploy scooters in the city because the company signed an operating agreement with the city while city officials worked on crafting an ordinance that would regulate the use of these devices. Bird opted not to sign that agreement.
Here are the highlights of the new ordinance the City Commission will consider.
– Scooter riders must be 18 years or older.
– Bans riding on sidewalks or on streets with speed limits higher than 35 miles per hour.
– Bans riding e-scooters between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
– The speed limit for e-scooters will be 15 miles per hour
– New parking regulations for e-scooters will be implemented. These regulations include requiring riders to park e-scooters in the “landscape zone” of a sidewalk — which is the buffer between the sidewalk and the curb line — next to public bicycle racks or in other areas specifically designated for bike and e-scooter parking. To see the full list of parking regulations, click here.
– Devices will be limited to 75 per company.
– The scooter companies will be required to carry insurance.
– The companies will be required to provide certain data to the city about their products. Information the city can collect includes, “start-time, end-time, start location, end location, route information, vehicle ID, and total trip distance.” The e-scooter companies are also required to notify the city about any injuries to riders using their devices.
City Commissioners will also be asked to amend the city’s fee schedule to enact a $4,000 yearly permit fee for e-scooter companies and establish a $75 per-device impound fee.
[adsanity id=”57671″ align=”alignleft” /] [adsanity id=”56211″ align=”alignright” /]
[adsanity id=”57673″ align=”alignleft” /] [adsanity id=”57749″ align=”alignright” /]
[adsanity id=”56022″ align=”aligncenter” /]
[adsanity id=”38887″ align=”alignleft” /] [adsanity id=”33719″ align=”alignright” /]