Tucker Rotary raises $10,000 for educationPhoto provided to Decaturish
Tucker, GA — The Rotary Club of Tucker announced that its annual Golf Classic: FOREducation raised $10,000 for education.
The Rotary Club held the event on April 26 at the Smoke Rise Country Club.
“Supporting education and literacy is one of Rotary International’s seven main initiatives, which is why Rotary Club of Tucker has focused on education programs as one of its main projects,” said Johnathan Clark, president of Rotary Club of Tucker. “Supporting our local schools and putting better educated people in the job pipeline benefits everyone, whether you are a student, a parent or even someone who doesn’t have children in the system. Locally, a strong school system and a well-educated work force make Tucker more attractive to businesses looking to relocate.”
Here are some of the initiatives being supported by the Rotary Club of Tucker:
– REACH Georgia Scholarships – helping students in Tucker Middle School and Tucker High School to strive towards a higher education
– Little Libraries – created and set up throughout the community
– DeKalb Rotary Council Teacher of the Year – recognizing outstanding educators in a Tucker community school
– Carolyn’s Giving Closet at Tucker High School – supplying food, clothes and personal care items to homeless students
– Tutu Desk Campaign – led by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, seeking to bring writing desks to disadvantaged African children in schools lacking proper infrastructure
– Senegal Teacher Project – funding one year of salary for a teacher in a remote Senegalese school
Prizes were awarded to winning foursomes and individual players.
– First place team – Art Wood, Zac Goss, David McLintock and Daniel Hamrin
– Second place team – Lamar Gresham, John Setzer, Hartley Burt, Sean Bailey
– Longest drive – Branden Cox
– Closest to the pin – Corey Rosenfeld
“This year’s event supporters included Chick-fil-A (Northlake Festival – Tucker Station); Hallford Farms; AAA Parking; PR Productions; Cultivation Norcross; Dick’s Sporting Goods; Edward Jones; Publix; and Kroger,” the press release from Tucker Rotary says.
The Tucker Observer is a new community news website owned by Decaturish.com. We provide locally sourced news about Tucker, Clarkston and Stone Mountain.
For more Tucker news, follow us on Facebook by clicking here. Follow us on Twitter by clicking here.
Want the latest news from the Tucker Observer delivered to your inbox every morning? Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.
To become a paying supporter of Tucker Observer, click here.