DeKalb to give away 4,000 boxes of Thanksgiving foodFILE PHOTO: Antioch AME Church member Inez Wheat volunteers during a food distribution event for DeKalb County residents at the church in Stone Mountain, July 17. Photo by Dean Hesse.
DeKalb County, GA — Thanksgiving food giveaways are planned across DeKalb County, all on Nov. 20.
Clarkston Cares Food Pantry and the Mercer School of Medicine will host a giveaway and health fair from 9 a.m. to noon at Clarkston Community Center, 3701 College Ave., Clarkston, GA 30021. The event is free. Giveaways include smartphones, bicycles, food and warm clothing.
From 2-5 p.m., Wade Walker Family YMCA, 5605 Rockbridge Road SW, Stone Mountain, GA 30088, will host a fall festival with games, food trucks and entertainment. A COVID-19 mobile vaccine van will be on-site, and families can pick up a gift card to help with Thanksgiving meal prep. Registration is not required.
At a county-wide event, residents will receive a 20-lb. box of food including fresh eggs, collard greens, sweet potatoes, shelled pecans, apples, oranges, bananas and a 10-lb. bag of chicken hindquarters.
“Rising inflation is making it more difficult for families to put food on their tables,” said DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond. “DeKalb County government is grateful to be able to help families weather this crisis.”
At 9 a.m. on Nov. 20, rain or shine, 4,000 baskets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis, at the following drive-thru locations:
– James R. Hallford Stadium, 3789 Memorial College Ave., Clarkston, GA 30021
– Saint Phillip AME, 240 Candler Road SE, Atlanta, GA 30317
– Shy Temple CME Church, 2030 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur, GA 30035
– Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest, GA 30038
– Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
– Rehoboth Baptist Church, 2997 Lawrenceville Hwy., Tucker, GA 30084
– The Covenant Church, 1700 Corey Blvd., Decatur, GA 30032
Since May 2020, DeKalb County has distributed food to 53,000 residents through CARES Act funding.
The Tucker Observer is a new community news website owned by Decaturish.com. We provide locally sourced news about Tucker, Clarkston and Stone Mountain.
Want the latest news from the Tucker Observer delivered to your inbox three times a week? Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.
To become a paying supporter of Tucker Observer, click here.