DeKalb to hold holiday food distribution; county partnering with faith leadersDeKalb Fire Rescue Recruits load COVID-19 Care Baskets into waiting vehicles during the May 1 food distribution at James R. Hallford Stadium in Clarkston. Photo by Dean Hesse.
DeKalb County, GA — On Saturday, Dec. 18, DeKalb County Government is partnering with local faith leaders to celebrate the 2021 holiday season by distributing 4,000 boxes of food, a press release said.
Along with a 10-pound bag of chicken hindquarters, residents will receive one 20-pound box of food that will include oranges, red apples, collards, shelled pecans, celery, snap beans, squash, zucchini, cabbage, sweet potatoes, yellow onions, pears, candy canes and a dozen eggs.
“We recognize that many families are still struggling to keep food on their table due to rising food costs,” said DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond. “DeKalb County Government is grateful to be able to help alleviate hunger this holiday season.”
Beginning at 9 a.m., rain or shine, 4,000 COVID-19 Care Baskets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis, at the following drive-through locations:
- New Birth Missionary Baptist Church – 6400 Woodrow Rd., Stonecrest, GA 30038
- Shy Temple CME Church, 2030 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur, GA 30035
- Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest, GA 30038
- Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
- Rehoboth Baptist Church, 2997 Lawrenceville Hwy., Tucker, GA 30084
- The Covenant Church, 1700 Corey Blvd., Decatur, GA 30032
- Saint Phillip AME, 240 Candler Rd. SE, Atlanta, GA 30317
Since May 2020, DeKalb County has provided fruit, vegetables, and protein to nearly 57,000 DeKalb County families.
The county is utilizing federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding to purchase the produce and protein.
For more information about the county’s response to COVID-19, visit www.dekalbcountyga.gov/coronavirus .
The Tucker Observer is a new community news website owned by Decaturish.com. We provide locally sourced news about Tucker, Clarkston and Stone Mountain.
Want the latest news from the Tucker Observer delivered to your inbox every morning? Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.
To become a paying supporter of Tucker Observer, click here.