Decatur High evacuated again due to a fire alarmThe front steps of Decatur High School. Photo by Dan Whisenhunt
This story has been updated.
Decatur High students evacuated the school on Thursday, April 27, due to a fire alarm.
Students were asked to evacuate the school a little over a month ago for the same reason.
Decatur Fire Chief Toni Washington said Thursday’s alarm was caused by, “A short in a panel box.”
“No fire, no injuries,” she said.
Superintendent David Dude confirmed Thursday’s incident on his Facebook page.
“CSD Decatur High School smoke alarm necessitated evacuating students and staff,” he said. “They are all safe and happy in the stadium awaiting clearance from Decatur Fire Dept to return to class.”
The students were back in class as of 11:04 a.m.
In the incident last month, students were evacuated after a power surge fried electrical panels, causing the panels to smoke. The incident may have been caused by ongoing construction at the school.
In January, a construction worker at the school was electrocuted after touching underground wiring, causing a brief power outage. The worker survived.